Coventry District Association

The Camping and Caravanning Club. e Camping and Caravanning Club

Home Contact Us Committee Links Gallery 2016 Fixture List

West Midlands Water Ski Centre

If your travelling on the M42 and leave at junction 9, then take the A4097 Kingsbury Road for a couple of miles. Turn at the junction for Tamworth Road (A51) for another 2 miles, you should see a board among the high hedges on the left saying The Waterfront. This is the turning you need to take and pass through a raised bar until you come to the field on the right near the banks of the lake. The drinking water is on the right near the hedge of the turning you enter into the field.

Our stewards when we arrived at the meet were our Chairman Dean Bennet and his wife Jackie.

We also hosted a youth meeting at the same time who had a segregated area.

The young adults set up their tents that came in an array of sizes and shapes.

Throughout the day they could be seen doing various activities with several adults (the testers) making observations on the methods being used to achieve their tasks.

From the field on the left, you can see the clubhouse and where most of the activity is visible. A five-minute walk will get you there and a pleasant building welcomes you in.

Toilets and bar facilities will be thankful if you have had a long journey, which ever you need the most?

Meals are available and I can recommend the Sunday roast for £6.00. You will get a choice of chicken or beef, which is bought on a plate with roast potatoes and parsnip. The waitress will bring another platter with a selection of vegetables and some gravy.

Get there early as it can get busy around 1300 hrs.

If you are an early riser, your view across the lake will bring you a slight mist rising from the water and a slow flotilla of Canada geese cruising in the lake towards their water banks further to the right. There is an eerie silence in this tranquil scene that will be shattered when the first of the water skiers hit the surface.

The roar of an outboard motor foretells that some actions are about to take place. If you are in the mood to bet on how far a skier can go before getting a dunking, this is best done sitting in a comfy chair with a tipple or cuppa depending on your choice.

A word of warning, if you are tempted to go close to the waters edge be prepared to get bitten by mosquitoes or gnats whichever is dining there.

There is also a chance that a water skier will send his or her water residue from the skis hurtling in your direction. I don’t know how they score their points but I’m sure they have great delight in telling their mates how many water logged people they sent to get dried off and changed.

There is a nature reserve if you are in the mood for walking around the lake that could take fifty minutes at a leisurely pace. In the trees behind us we noticed hawks flying around in the distance. Herons are a common sight according to the frequenters of the Centre.

I shall be revisiting this meet site as it holds a lot of interest and when the sun is shining, you feel at one with nature.

I hope to see you there in the future.

Regards Glenn Meiner P.R.O.

New Car, New Caravan, New Destination

by your P.R.O. (Public Relations Office)

Hello  members,

We decided to splash out this year, There was a choice of whether to get a new car or Caravan?  In the end we decided to get both!! But not brand new, we went second hand and whilst we were rallying at Wilmcote site, we visited Broad Lane Leisure Caravan Sales site just outside Stratford –Upon – Avon.

We wanted a caravan with four berths but with single fixed beds and came across an Abbey GTS. Seven years old with a reasonable price tag. After going through the regular routine inspections and haggling on what we could do with our old Caravan. We decided to sell privately on Pre Loved .Com.  We had some interested viewers and eventually a couple just starting out bought it after a bit of haggling.

Whilst at Wilmcote our friends had spotted a four wheel drive car at a local garage forecourt and we decided to have a look. We were impressed and it fitted the bill. After checking the suitability to tow our Abbey GTS it matched.  I made arrangements to have a test drive and my friend who had spotted it came along with me as it was an automatic which he also had, I started off and nearly put him through the windscreen as I had put on the brake thinking it was a clutch. “Well the brakes work!!” was his comment.

We purchased it and all was set to go on our summer holiday. We decided on Cornwall as the weather was looking good for the coming fortnight.

We chose Sennen Cove Camping and Caravan Park near Lands End Airport. The site was run by the manager Steve with his wife Vanessa and their two aides Pamela and Malcolm. Very friendly and warm smiles as you would expect from our club sites. We were given the choice where we would like to be placed, near the toilets or a quiet area.

A sign went up later during the week declaring “Site full.”

Various tents, motorhomes and tourers were dotted around, and the amenities were easy to hand. A fish and chip van came around Mondays and Thursdays and had plenty of hungry customers. (It must be the sea air!!) We had two cod and a portion of chips for £10.00. That was affordable, compared to restaurants in the area.

The Lands End Airport a quarter of a mile down the road was hardly noticeable as the flights were staggered every hour or so and the aeroplanes were noisy only when flying above the site for one minute. (No flights on Sunday).

The destination some of them flew to was the Scilly Isles. We decided to have a visit and booked the ferry called the Scicillonian III for a trip as our budget did not allow for flights.

 We made an early start to get to the boat 08.30 am for departure 09.15. The trip was two and a half hours and we had packed our sandwiches and drinks as it can be pricey on the Isles.  After nearly completing the Daily Express crossword which usually takes me all week, we disembarked and were recommended to take the “Island tour” for £8.00 which would last 1 hour and 10 minutes. The bus looked old and the engine bellowed its disapproval of the journey to come. The driver was a jovial character and had a witty sense of humour which continued throughout the tour. The roads were narrow at points and we had to stop and let other cars pass us by. You can hire Golf buggies to travel the island. We came across one and it looked as if they had trouble finding reverse, so the bus driver started to reverse as he said “they had a blind corner to reverse back into”. After reversing and finding a place they could pass, we waited one then two and three minutes. The driver said “What are the chances we will meet up with the buggy in the same place if he drove off now”? We started off after another car had pulled up behind us and when we got to the point where we had met the buggy, it was nowhere to be seen!! “TOURISTS” the driver muttered under his breath.

After our enlightening bus trip we decided to have some lunch by the beach. We found a nice place to sit on a bench with shelter from the wind behind us. There were a few squawking seagulls flying around, and whilst we were tucking in one of them swooped down and Christine gave a yelp and was minus the rest of her sandwich. Christine now has a “phobia” of seagulls around her!!

I booked a fishing trip for £25.00 for a four hour trip. After parking the car, Christine had made plans to meet up with her brother who was also holidaying with the family in Cornwall but at St. Ives. So I had a cool box with my drink and “sarnies” in and went onto the boat waiting at the Quayside. There was another chap beside the skipper and his mate and after sitting down we waited for the other fishermen to arrive. A young couple turned up next and then another chap, a large taxi van turned up, out stepped a man and following him came five women, they were all Malaysian and aged between eighteen and twenty five by appearances. So in the end there were more women than men. There were meant to be another two people who never showed so we set off getting our “sea legs”. After an hour we were issued our rods with a rubber jelly lure that resembled ragworm but with a bright Dayglow tail. The skipper told the novices how to operate the reel and what to do after reaching bottom. We were drifting across the sea bed and a few people started to haul in fish. We were after Pollack and one got one then another got a codling, Mackrel made a couple of appearances and then more Pollack started to arrive. After seven or eight minutes we had to wind up our lines so the skipper could return up current to drift down again, I was rewarded at last with a nice Pollack about six pounds in weight. After a couple more drifts I then had another Pollack heavier than the last weighing about ten pounds.

The clouds had been overcast and when the skipper said it was time to go back we reeled in despondently. After 10 minutes we felt the first patter of raindrops and the sky had got darker. A minute later all the women were diving for cover as they had not brought any waterproof clothing. The skipper had a big grin on his face as he was squeezed tight with the women in his small cabin. We looked like “drowned rats” when we were disembarking, but I was still smiling as I had my supper for the night and room for more meals with the Pollack in my cool box.

When I got back to the caravan, Christine was curious as to what I had caught as my previous trip had given me a cool box full of Whiting. I proudly showed my Pollacks (Have to be careful with the spelling here!!) Chnstine got her “Tablet”( not the medicinal  one) and took a photo and then it went out over the network. It was not long before we had feedback from some of our friends and also the “close to the knuckle” jokes about my pollacks. I gutted and filleted the fish and we had a good meal that evening (after picking out the bones) my filleting skills were not that good!!. We froze the remaining fish and decided to make fish cakes when we returned home.

The two weeks were soon over and Cornwall decided to give us a good night’s sleep on our last night with rain hammering down and the wind rocking us off to “sleep”(not much).

In the morning the sun was shining and I had a look out, the wind was still buffering the caravan but there were not many puddles around. When Christine surfaced I went out and Steve the site manager was making his rounds to see if any damage needed repairing. I passed one tent that had one end erect and the other flat. I stopped at the erect end and asked aloud if anyone was “alive?” a muffled reply came back “We’re OK thanks”.

We had a long journey back but not too many traffic hold ups and we returned home a little more tanned and a better understanding of our car and caravan.